Thursday, July 29, 2010

MY MOTHER



MY MOTHER
By: Staci Warren

My mother kept a garden,
A garden of the heart,
She planted all the good things
That gave my life its start.

She turned me to the sunshine
And encouraged me to the dream,
Fostering and nurturing
The seeds of self-esteem.

And when the winds and rain came,
She protected me enough-
But not too much because she knew
I’d need to stand up strong and tough.

Her constant good example
Always taught me right from wrong-
Markers for my pathway
That will last a lifetime long.
I am my mother’s garden.
I am her legacy,
And I hope today she feels the love
Reflected back from me!

This poem is from the book “Chicken Soup for the Soul.” I was really inspired by this poem. At first I thought it was just a simple letter of gratitude for a mother, thanking her for the gift of love and for caring for her children. The main idea of this poem really struck me.

I am a daddy’s girl. I have a closer relationship with my father compared to my mother. I have a lot more fun being with my dad rather than my mom. This poem made me realize that my mother is also a special one. A special someone who will give me values all throughout my life even without my father beside me.

When I read this poem, tears fell on my cheeks. I thought to myself, “Hey, you are lucky for having a mother beside you. Remember that not everyone is blessed to have a mother.” Some of the stories I often hear was that their mother died while giving birth.

I love my mom and I don’t want her to think that I neglect her patience, affection and care. She taught me to love and care for people that made me stronger everyday. I am a mother’s garden and I love the way she loves me.
-Michelle Patingo

No comments:

Post a Comment